E-Glide recommends using Wired Controllers, why?
All E-Glide Electric Skateboards utilize an Optima Quad cable connected control gun which connects to our European built electronics which are warrantied for one full year. The cable is designed to disconnect from the control gun should the rider jump off of or fall from the powerboard. A MIDI/DIN quick disconnect fitting is utilized for this purpose. Unless you want to perform a headstand, or yoga on your powerboard, you will find, as over 8,000 E-Glide owners already know, the cable is just not an issue. The solid cable connection provides precise throttle control, absolutely no interference, and the highest quality and most reliable electronics ever utilized on an electric skateboard. Our electronics are manufactured for us by PG Drives Technologies in Europe.
But why do we recommend using wired...? Read on....
- QUALITY - Most of the current wireless electronics available for electric skateboards are imported from China. They are inexpensive and the quality is much to be desired. We have used Chinese electronics, wireless and cabled, (unbelievably bad), US made Curtis Instrument electronics, and now offer our new European built electronics, manufactured for us by PG Drives Technologies, with an industry first: a non-prorated one year warranty. This new generation of motor controllers pulse checks themselves 200 times per second. With a rating of 70 amps, it is the most rugged motor controller ever offered on an electric skateboard. The full one year warranty speaks for itself. If the wireless boards are so reliable, why not offer a longer warranty. Really, if the product is of quality, if you have faith in your product, how can you only offer a 30, 60, or 90 day warranty? This really speaks volumes of their confidence in their products.
- INTERFERENCE - The current offering of wireless electronics are subject to interference and can be influenced by outside radio frequencies from power lines, phone poles, electric doors, and other RF transmissions. Interference can and does cause loss of signal between gun and powerboard. The fact that wireless transmitters ARE NOT used for throttle applications where human beings are at risk seems obvious, and for an electric skateboard application, it should seem even more obvious. They just are not reliable nor safe enough, and combined with Chinese manufacturing, are an accident waiting to happen.
- NOISE - Many wireless electric skateboards make a very loud and irritating humming noise. E-Glides are stealthy quiet except for the whine of the motor.
- RELIABILITY - Wireless electric skateboards are subject to reliability issues. Besides being Chinese and inexpensive, they are complex, they utilize a remote control gun transmitter, a separate receiver p.c. board , an antenna, and a very complicated main p.c. board. When you couple this up to a skateboard platform with hard wheels, no suspension, and high sustainable speeds, potential problems increase even more. It would be great if they did what they were suppose to, but they have not reached that point in quality or reliability.
- THROTTLE FEEL/PRECISION - Our cabled guns, by nature of their direct connection, provide a sensitive and precise feel to the throttle. Maybe this sounds a bit esoteric, but if you ride a wireless, and then ride an E-Glide, this difference is quite noticeable.
- SERVICE AND REPAIR - Because of their complexity ,wireless electric skateboards usually have to be shipped back for repair. Shipping costs can exceed $80 round trip.
E-Glide features one "brain" that handles all functions, and can be replaced in minutes with only an allen wrench. Simplicity of design and function allow customers to replace parts themselves, and avoid the inconvenience and associated headaches of shipping a powerboard across the country, or across an ocean.